Learn to sail in a safe and supportive environment under the expert tutelage of our experienced instructors. You will acquire the knowledge, skills, and confidence to sail a modern, mid-sized cruising yacht.
The course includes the ASA 101/103 certification upon successful completion of both written and on the water tests.
$1,475 – Members
$1,675 – Non-Members
Students ages 17 & under must be accompanied by a legal guardian
- Earn ASA 101 and ASA 103 certifications
- Leaves from Marina del Rey
- Approximately 35 – 40 hours of course time
- There are 3 to 6 students per class, so there is plenty of individualized attention.
- Acquire confidence through our 100% hands-on training program. You will be at the helm, and handling sails, lines, and winches on your very first lesson.
- Learn to skipper and sail a 25-38-foot yacht with a U.S. Coast Guard licensed, ASA certified instructor.
- Earn 2 ASA Certifications: Basic Keelboat Sailing and Basic Coastal Cruising
- Learn on the boats you will be qualified to charter when you successfully complete the course! Enjoy our privately-owned, cruise and race-equipped meticulously maintained boats from the start.
- Each day is a new adventure, providing new scenery, wildlife, and sightseeing as you sail out of Marina del Rey into the Pacific Ocean to Santa Monica, Malibu, and Redondo Beach. We return to the harbor every night.
- Our exclusive confidence sailing course consists of five modules, each one full day on the water from approximately 9AM-4PM (*may change due to weather or class size), for a total of 35-40 hours.
- Choose between two-course formats: Saturday and Sunday courses for 2 1/2 weeks or 5 consecutive weekdays.
Includes 2 complimentary Confidence Sails with an ASA instructor post successful completion of your 2-day ASA 101 course and 3-day day ASA 103 course. Confidence sails – Head out on the water and practice your skills with an ASA instructor on board. Schedule Confidence Sails within 60 days of completion of your ASA 101 course. Additional confidence sails can be purchased. In total, up to 42 hrs of class/water time.
Prior to the 5-day Beginning/Intermediate Sailing ASA 101/103: Please purchase and read the books “Sailing Made Easy” and “Coasting Cruising Made Easy“, both by The American Sailing Association (ASA). Also, please review the general information and rules for classes.
5 Day Course
Public lot on the corner of Admiralty Way and Bali Way. Entrance to the lot is on Bali Way. Please purchase a day ticket and display on the dashboard.
Deck shoes with white soles and a warm jacket are essential year round. Casual comfortable sports clothing is recommended – layers are the way to go. Please pack all personal gear in a soft case or duffle bag, and remember that boats have very limited storage space.
No hard suitcases are permitted on the boats.
These items are highly recommended. They are not required for the classes, but will make your sailing experience more comfortable and/or interesting: flashlight(s), sailing gloves, sailing knife, Personal Flotation Device (PFD), hat, sunglasses and sun block, and cell phone.
Please understand that we will be expecting you on class day, and will have reserved a boat and an instructor for you.
- If you cancel 14 days prior to your class, you will receive credit for future instruction.
- Any credit granted must be used within six (6) months of the originally scheduled class.
- The first timely request to reschedule is free; all others will be billed at $50.00 each.
- Any cancellation requests with less than fourteen (14) days’ notice will forfeit their deposit.
- If weather does not permit the class to take place, it will be rescheduled.
- Absolutely no refunds, no exceptions.
- No smoking
- No pets are allowed on boats at any time.
- No Firearms or Drugs:
- The US Coast Guard and Blue Pacific Yachting have adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to firearms or any illegal substance. Failure to comply could result in severe legal action.
$1,475 – Members
$1,675 – Non-Members
We look forward to helping you achieve your nautical goals. If you're just starting out, or hoping to increase your experience level and skillset, we'll get you there. Blue Pacific Yachting has served the Marina del Rey community for more than 30 years. With Sailing instruction, powerboating courses, trips to Catalina Island and the Channel Islands, yacht racing classes, spinnaker clinics, catamaran courses, docking clinics, instructor certification courses — we cover it all. Plus, we have a beautiful fleet of boats to bareboat charter. We are proud to be LA's premier boating destination.